It was 2010 when I got a call from my casting company in New Mexico.
“I want you to start using this new metal!”
When Dominic (my caster) says something to me like that, I listen.
It turns out Dominic, a top metallurgist, was hired to run all the technical specs on a new platinum sterling alloy that Allura Precious Metals | ABI International had patented. If Dominic thought it was important to try a new metal, he knew what he was talking about.
And he was right. I love this metal! It’s beautiful. It’s sterling, which is defined as 92.5% silver. The balance of this alloy is 5% platinum, 1% copper and 1.5% rare earths.
There are so many things to love about this metal.
Platinum-enhanced Sterling is:
- harder and more durable than regular sterling
- more tarnish resistant
- brighter and a bit more “chrome-y” than regular sterling
- 97.5% recycled precious metal
- easy for jewelers to work with
- affordable alternative to gold